Rotating Headlines from this Weblog! Click to view Post!

Rotating Headlines

Join this Weblog!

To become a Follower of this Weblog.
Click on the "Follow" link, underneath the list of current followers. You will be taken to an information panel where you may enter your personal details and other information. When completed, the title of this Weblog will appear in the Reading List on your Blogger Dashboard, and your Profile Picture will be displayed next to other Followers!

Followers to my Weblog!

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Gold Tracks at South Hill, Warrandyte State Park




South Hill, Warrandyte State Park, is 20 km east of Melbourne town, and is the site of the gold diggings of the 1870s.

I visited this interesting historical locality on Friday afternoon March 5 2010, a very warm and humid day.

I parked at the junction of Webb Rd and gated Fiddler's Gully Track.

From there, I proceeded to the end of Web Rd, then on to gated South Hill Track, descending to the junction with Pigtail Track.

Pigtail Track becomes Merlin's Track at that point, which I followed to Harding Track, my turnaround.

I returned up Pigtail Track, to the car.

There are many old excavations and remains of diggings on South Hill - there is a nice view to the Yarra Ranges.

I found some interesting quartz rocks, but, sadly, no gold nuggets!

There was a friendly Triceratops on the track!

Total hiking distance was about 3 km.

See all of the
Photos of my trip, including the Triceratops!

No comments:

Post a Comment