These pix were take on August 13 2013.
Maranoa Gardens, located at the end of Parring Road, Balwyn, about 9 km from the Melbourne CBD, is a native display Botanic Garden, exhibiting plants in a range of habitat styles, to demonstrate the flora of Melbourne and other regions.
Maranoa Gardens has been influenced by many forces since its creation, and is managed by the Boroondara Shire Council.
Mr J Watson created Maranoa Gardens in 1901 when he purchased 3.5 acres of land to develop a private garden, catering to his interest in Australian and New Zealand plants. An Australian garden was unusual in that era, when the main interest was in exotic plants and Victorian or Edwardian design.
Camberwell Council purchased the land in 1922 and the garden was officially opened to the public on 18 September 1926. The garden was expanded in 1962, taking approximately three acres of neighbouring Beckett Park to construct a rockery. In 1987, the rockery was extended and replanted to provide an environment for plants considered difficult to grow in Melbourne.
Over the years, specialists have been involved in the identification and naming of the plants in the collection to acquaint visitors with the value of Australian vegetation.
The garden is visited daily by locals, enjoying the meandering paths and by students and botanical enthusiasts in search of knowledge. Weekends are a popular time for wedding parties and photographic sessions.
The garden plays a significant role as one of the major botanical displays of Australian plants in Victoria. It provides visual and written information on Australian plants in varying habitats for students, botanists and enthusiasts alike.
Click here to see all of the Photos of my visit!
About the Author
- Bob Padula
- Mont Albert (Melbourne), Victoria, Australia
- Ths author is a Chartered Professional Engineer, providing specialized consultancy services in International Broadcasting Engineering. He is graduate of the Royal Melbourne Instiutute of Technology.and holds the rank of Member, Institution of Engineers Australia . he is a recipient of the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for Services to Shortwave Radio, and was employed by the PMG's Dept/ATC/Telecom Australia from 1956 until 1997...