On Black Saturday 2009 this Reservoir, Park and surrounding forests were almost completely destroyed. It was reopened during this week, on Oct 24.
I had been to the Park in 2009, not long before the fires and revisited it on Nov 2015. It’s north of Whittlesea at the foot of Mt Disappointment.
Parks Vic, Melbourne Water and Whittlesea City have created an amazing transformation, which include
- An excellent Lookout on the hilltop
- A marvellous Lily Pond
- A beautiful Bushfire Memorial and Sculptures
- Many ground-level stone Cairns describing the history of the area and the fauna/flora/biodiversity
- A series of info boards along the dam wall, telling how it was built and its interconnection with Yan Yean
- Walking paths
- Indigenous Heritage Plaques
- A colourful info photo kiosk
- Unique sets of stone seats arranged geometrically
- Water features
The Reservoir provides drinking water to Melbourne via the Yan Yean pipe and aqueducts.