Photos of August 28 2018, on an exploration in the Shrublands Creek Reserve.
"Shrublandss" is a majestic mansion, a local landmark, sitting in a prominent position on the top of a hill and visible from the original Canterbury village in Maling Road. It was the first substantial home in the precinct when completed in 1863.
It was originally designed by architect John Flannagan, for Ernest Carter, a dentist. It is designed in the Italianate style with classical detailing.The style of the house, with a return verandah and balcony with bay window, became common around the 1880s in both larger houses and cottages. Today, the original house is mostly intact externally.
Once built, the house was surrounded by 16 acres of garden, including orchards, an orangery and a vineyard. In 1879, Carter acquired additional land to increase his holdings to about 87 acres. The boundaries of the estate were the present day Balwyn Road, Mont Albert, Chatham, and
In the decades which followed, much of the estate was subdivided. A creek, now known as Shrublands Creek, ran through a valley to the east of present day Rochester Rd, and the strip was reserved as a public park, titled Shrublands Creek Reserve. The creek is now underground.in a barreldrain.
An unformed walking track follows the alignment lof the creek. The reserve is reached from Vaughan Avenue, Kingston Avenue, or from Shierlaw Avenue (behind the Canty Scout Hall).
Beautiful mature trees survive in the reserve.
|Land sales poster of 1911|