The Sitting Circle
Photos of an exploration of the Reserve on Apil 22, 2017.
The site was once part of a military camp that became a prisoner-of-war camp during the Second World War. This gives the site historical significance - a Memorial Plaque has been erected by the Knox Council Remembrance Day Committee. The Camp operated rom 1942 to1946, and was located near the SW corner of Wellington and Stud Rds. Following its closure, the land was then used for motor cycle races, then taken over for the Rowville Power Station.
The Reserve is within the land of the Wurundjeri people, located off Canter St, and features walking tracks, a childrens' playground, a lagoon, bushland vegetation and the Discovery Walk.
The Aboriginal artefacts included in the "Treasure Panels" in the Reserve were made by members of the Wurundjeri people. This is part of the "Discovery Walk", featuring totems of natural and Aboriginal cultural features - this starts at the "Sitting Circle" where clues are read and the path is followed to find the correct answers.
Th Walk takes about an hour.