Photos of a 3 km exploration on July 4, 2017, researching the location of an old Water Channel which was built in the 1915-1920 era, and closed in 1931. The Channel starts at the old Dam high up on Army Rd, in the Churchill National Park, and crosses under Churchill Park Drive, then runs adjacent to Frankston Drive.
Some old broken nine inch steel reinforced pipes were discovered, lying in the channel - these were used to carry water under foot crossings. The channel continues past the end of Frankston Drive and carried water for irrigation and agricultural purposes to the site of the former Police Horse Stud Depot, which closed in 1931. Much of the open channel past Frankston Drive is now untraceable, due to high grass, blackberries and weeds.
Frankston Drive was built in 1964, one of several roadways for the 7th Australian National Scout Convention held in Police Paddocks, attended by 16,000 scouts.