About the Author
- Bob Padula
- Mont Albert (Melbourne), Victoria, Australia
- Ths author is a Chartered Professional Engineer, providing specialized consultancy services in International Broadcasting Engineering. He is graduate of the Royal Melbourne Instiutute of Technology.and holds the rank of Member, Institution of Engineers Australia . he is a recipient of the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for Services to Shortwave Radio, and was employed by the PMG's Dept/ATC/Telecom Australia from 1956 until 1997...
Rotating Headlines for this Journal!
Thursday, August 01, 2013
Wombolano Park in Ringwood East - late winter exploration
Pix taken on July 31, 2013, on a 2 km circuit hike.
Wombolano Park in Ringwood East is a Maroondah Council reserve located on Canterbury Rd just east of the intersection with Bedford Rd.
The reserve occupies 7.5 ha (18 acres), is mostly covered by bushland, but has some open grass spaces inside and around the reserve boundaries.
The Wombolano Sensory Trail starts at the Rotherwood Avunue car park and leads through a wetland area. Seasonal ponds can be viewed from several platforms along the trail. In the centre of the park is a playground with lawn area and public toilets.
The land is designated as a ‘Land for Wildlife’ property.
The land was donated to the Council by P. L. Walker in 1954, for the purpose of using it as a public recreation space.
Initially, some undergrowth was cleared and fire breaks were established. In the 1970s, a need for more intensive weed management was recognized, with the aim of restoring and preserving indigenous bushland.
A Committee of Management was set up in 1973 and the creation of play areas and installation of seating and tables followed soon after.
Housing development around the reserve necessitated sewer and drainage works, leading to vegetation disturbances.
Since then, extensive weed removal and revegetation has been undertaken, significantly improving the quality of the reserve.